Decontamination and infection control technologies that reduce the risk of healthcare acquired infections
- Bishop's Stortford, United Kingdom
Categories: Healthcare Mixed Digital/Non-Digital B2B
- Social Media
- Company number
- Incorporation date
- 4 Oct 2007
- Investment sought:
- Equity offered:
ASEPTIUM IS THE ANSWER TO THE PROBLEM OF CLEANING OF THE MOST ADVANCED INSTRUMENTS USED IN MEDICINE TODAY.
Surgeons specialise in every organ of the human body, so do surgical instruments. It is amazing that we save people from conditions deemed fatal even a few years ago. Those new instruments are typically complex, expensive and reusable. We expect them to be safe to use every time, but that complexity makes them difficult to clean. 7-10% of patients acquire an infection during their stay in a hospital. A part of those can be attributed to dirty surgical instruments. It is a global challenge: to make complex instruments safe for every surgery, for every patient. This is what we specialise in. Our uSonic range of advanced ultrasonic washers deal with the pre-cleaning and automated cleaning, and VeriTest answers the question: "HOW CLEAN IS CLEAN?" using science. We are innovating medical decontamination technologies. We are working to improve healthcare safety. Help us deliver it faster.
A decade of R&D in decontamination sciences made us realise the scale of the problem increasing complexity of surgical instruments brings to hospital staff and patients alike. A solution to this problem is a global market opportunity.
Cleaning is a cost and challenge for healthcare. Advanced instruments have to be cleaned and sterilised outside and inside – including all internal features. We've seen that the problem is the diversity and complexity of those tools, with surgical robots leading the trend.
We've seen that part of the cleaning is still done manually: labour intensive, inconsistent and costly. And in our experience, existing technologies recirculate dirty water, cross contaminating instruments.
Our patent-pending technology used in uSonics reduces that risk by cleaning without reusing dirty water, while VeriTest verifies cleaning effectiveness.
We are addressing a worldwide problem, made worse by prion diseases such as Creutzfeldt-Jakob Disease, and the rise of antibiotic resistance.
Substantial accomplishments to date
Since our last Seedrs campaign in August 2017 (we raised £156,974 https://www.seedrs.com/aseptium1) we have:
• Set up new R&D centre on Inverness University Campus.
• Developed 4 variants of uSonic, international patent application pending.
• Completed the ISO 13485 protocols and are preparing for an audit.
• Secured a £125k grant from Highlands & Islands Enterprise.
• Increased our team of engineers and scientists.
• Engaged with distributors for Europe, USA and China.
• Prepared CE marking documentation for uSonic range.
• Showcased our products at Medica 2017 using our Virtual Showroom.
• Developed VeriTest family and applied for a patent.
• Began cooperation with the Highlands & Islands University.
• Presenter at multiple events and conferences around Europe.
• Published 4 articles in the Institute of Decontamination Journal.
• Been featured in local and international media (BeyondClean podcast www.goo.gl/M7YqbR, the Scotsman www.goo.gl/LH4cRB, Medical Plastics News www.goo.gl/f4eUFA, Highlands & Islands Focus, International Insight).
Our business model is based on unique, high-end, specialised technologies, offered as a group of complementary products. We aim to deliver high value to the customer, price-wise positioned in the upper end of the market.
We offer uSonic washers, and VeriTest kits for process verification and periodic monitoring, in the UK HTM 01-01 recommends using these tests daily, and we have taken steps to protect our IP.
Our range continually expands due to growing diversity of surgical instruments and an increasing need for bespoke decontamination solutions. This means new ancillary equipment, accessories, consumables, training, online product support and spare parts. We are designing our own AR & VR tools, to reduce cost and improve effectiveness of marketing and technical support.
We plan to sell products and services through distributors in EU, USA, China.
Aseptium plans to generate revenue from:
1) Sales of machines, accessories, consumables and spare parts globally.
2) Sales of online support and training packages.
Use of proceeds
Fund are earmarked for three purposes; to accelerate growth, expand our vision, and market our presence. This can be broken down as follows:
1. Set up specialised production and testing facility for uSonics.
2. Set up VeriTest Tags production line.
3. Increase our technical/scientific team to run production and products innovation.
4. IP protection (uSonics and VeriTest).
5. Continue developing relationships with distributors.
6. Sign up additional 3-5 distributors in the next 12 months.
7. Exhibit at Medica 2018.
8. Speak at 3 key industry events.
9. Continue building brand’s online profile.
10. Create library of training videos for uSonic range.
11. Keep developing AR and VR tools for the purposes of marketing, training and technical support.
12. R&D of our technologies to keep our products the best in category and continue development of accessories and consumables for our current product line.
13. Begin tests of uSonic range as disinfecting machines, to enter new markets and deliver more value to the end user.
We focus on specialist hospitals that routinely use highly complex surgical instruments for minimally invasive procedures, ophthalmology, orthopaedics and, especially, robotic surgeries.
From our experience, 10-25% of all instruments used in healthcare today are considered complex, and this number is continually growing. On average, we see that each hospital using complex instruments requires at least one complex instrument washer (hospitals typically need two or more).
We first target countries with wealthier healthcare services: EU, USA. In China, we target those hospitals that are at the forefront of medical technologies.
Our direct client is a distributor. Our end user is a hospital or a stand-alone decontamination unit servicing one or more specialised hospitals and/or clinics.
We are also looking to collaborate with surgical instrument manufacturers, to deliver complete and dedicated solutions, providing a bundle like a medical robot and a washer designed specifically for its instruments.
Characteristics of target market
We estimate the available global market for washers in Europe, China and USA alone is around 330k units pa. There are estimated over 50k hospitals in this area, and we intend to sell beyond these markets as well.
The market for minimally invasive surgery is growing, 12.4% per year, with ophthalmic instruments market growing by 5.8% and robotic instruments market CAGR of 13.8% between 2017 and 2023.
Based on our personal market experience, washers of the similar capacity to uSonic cost between £12k-£35k+ per unit, depending on instrument complexity and accessories needed. We understand that in the USA the prices can be higher. Process Challenge Devices (PCDs), like VeriTest tags, typically cost £3-£15 each, depending on type, evaluation method and process they verify. UK guidelines HTM 01-01 recommend daily use of PCDs. We have seen that in other countries they are becoming widely adopted as a Performance Qualification Tests – this is what VeriTest family was made for.
From our own calculations we estimate the annual cost of consumables to be 20 - 50%+ of the purchase price of the equipment.
Product & Partnerships:
1. Aseptium delivers products and services to the end user through distributors in chosen countries.
2. We work with distributors who have experience and infrastructure to support complex instrument decontamination equipment.
3. Products are innovative, unique and, especially in case of uSonic washers, high-value.
1. Aseptium is already an expert brand on the market. AR/VR marketing tools are being developed to enhance the experience and deliver product message with greater speed and clarity; our brand strategy explains the problems and validity of our solutions, as well as the overall value delivered.
2. Planned presence at selected industry trade shows and exhibitions with the biggest impact (Medica, Arab Health, CMEF, AAMI, Central Sterilisation Club Conference).
3. Online through planned future digital marketing.
Our team contributes regularly to journals in the decontamination market and frequently speak at industry events building the brand globally.
Aseptium, by design, is focused on new product development, innovation and high level of expertise.
Our products are unique from the perspective of technology and solve pressing issues within the sector. We believe they deliver better overall value and are supported by a high quality of service.
The majority of serious competitors, such as Miele / Steelco offer conventional washers that reuse dirty water. We emphasise the value of our solutions against old tech and practices. We do not intend to compete with established manufacturers of simple washers that are incompatible with complex instrumentation.
There are a number of companies at that end of the market while we target high end, advanced solutions. Currently, we have seen that after-sales services and maintenance of equipment are costly and difficult to maintain at a high level with relatively low volume of international sales. Aseptium will combine AR/VR support with online equipment monitoring in order to reduce the cost and downtime and therefore we believe gives us a competitive advantage.