Our mission is to make waste wonderful. We turn unsold artisan bread into a range of delicious beers.
- Sold nationally via Waitrose and John Lewis since 2020
- Revenue almost doubled in the last three years*
- Saved over 35,000 loaves from being wasted, B corp pending
- Planted a tree and fed those in need with every online sale
Bread is the second most wasted food of UK households. Food production is a significant contributor to climate change. So, food waste isn't just wasteful, it is also harming our planet.
That stat shocked my wife and I so much we decided to do something about it. We created Crumbs Brewing, a brand that turns unsold loaves from our local artisan bakery into a range of delicious beers.
We built the business from scratch starting locally, selling our beers alongside our baker at markets. Since then, we've grown to supply Waitrose and John Lewis nationally, as well as Southern Co-op, the National Trust and a wide range of pubs, restaurants, hotels and farm shops.
We are passionate that the bread we use in our brews should mean something to the beer quality and flavour. Each beer is made with a single type of loaf, that way the beer reflects the bread that makes it.
We believe it is the sweet spot of a great purpose and a great product story. It's delicious beer, bread differently.
*based on unaudited management accounts.
Substantial accomplishments to date
Crumbs was born out of a desire to do something in our local foodie community with a positive, sustainable purpose at its heart. The strength of our brand has already meant we have made great progress in taking the brand to national prominence:
· Gained listing in 175 Waitrose stores in 2020
· “Best Seller” beer gift pack online and in 35 John Lewis stores
· Supply the Exclusive and the Hand Picked hotel groups
· Supply Southern Coop, the National Trust and Fuller’s pubs across the southeast
· Supply over 50 independent pubs, restaurants, delis and farm shops
We've piqued the interest of many media outlets and reviewers:
· Tasted on Channel 4’s Sunday Brunch. “This beer is so delicious I could drink it for breakfast” Vick Hope, Radio 1 DJ
· Featured on ITV ‘Love Your Weekend’. “This is like Guinness on steroids” Alan Titchmarsh
· “Immaculately balanced, this is malty magic” Olly Smith – TV Drinks Specialist
· “It’s the kind of beer that reminds me how diverse and delicious beer can be” The Drinks Maven, Beer Writer
We've been recognised with awards for our products and for our sustainable business purpose
· Winners of two great taste awards
· Twice winners of the RBBC business awards. Start-up of the year and sustainable business of the year
· Winners of the CREST sustainability awards for ‘transforming food’
· Finalists in the Great British Entrepreneur Awards 2022
We estimate we've saved over 35,000 loaves from waste, planted a tree and donated to the Food Cycle charity with every online sale
We have developed a range of 4 core beers available in bottle, can and keg. We sell to the on trade and off trade direct and via a number of distribution partners (e.g. Great British Exchange and the Social Supermarket). We sell direct to consumers via our web shop and at festivals.
Each beer is brewed using one type of left-over loaf, each has its own distinct character.
Our success to date has been driven by our 3P’s
· Our Purpose: fighting the growing problem of food waste and appealing to consumers and businesses that share our desire to do something good for the planet
· Our Product: our innovative approach to brewing, using single varieties of artisan bread to make great tasting, quality beer. Our innovative ‘wasted’ ingredient will always mean something to the beer it makes.
· Our Place: Having started as a ‘local’ brand, our local partnerships and presence in the communities in which we operate is key. Even as we embark on national/ global growth we will not lose sight of that.
Use of proceeds
With your support, we intend to drive our growth in line with our 3P strategy.
Driving our PLACE (50% of investment)
Cementing our home ‘place’ with the creation of a Crumbs Hub to sell direct to consumers. Expanding our ‘place’ nationally through local partnerships with more bakeries across the country.
Driving our PRODUCT (25% of investment)
Creation of new product partnerships with brands that share our mission to fight food waste. These partnerships will also open new routes to market. For example, creation of the world’s first Naan Laager.
Driving our PURPOSE (25% of investment)
Greater investment in the marketing and communication of our unique purpose – via our physical assets and our media channels. Better leveraging accreditations such as BCorp and the communication opportunities our national customer partnerships give us.
The company has the following outstanding loan:
£25,000 BounceBack loan from NatWest at an interest rate of 2.5% per annum. The loan is to be repaid by May 2026.
The funds raised from this investment round will not be used to repay this loan.
All investors in this round, including Seedrs investors, will be receiving E Ordinary shares. E Ordinary shares shall rank equally with A, B, C and D shares in terms of voting, capital on winding up and dividends, the only difference being that A, B, C and D shares entitle the holders to receive preferential dividends in lieu of salary (the amount of which is capped at market salary rates).
Please note that any discounts, rewards and/or offers listed by a company in its campaign are subject to the terms and conditions applied by that company. It is the company’s responsibility to honour such discounts, rewards and/or offers and Seedrs does not take any responsibility for them.
Open an account to get access to the team members of Crumbs Brewing
Already have an account? Log in
To comply with financial regulations, we can only show full campaign details to registered users.