We've built the next generation of light switches and plug sockets, for the world.
- London, United Kingdom
Categories: Home & Personal Mixed Digital/Non-Digital Mixed B2B/B2C
Head of Finance
Non Executive Director
Sales Manager (Distribution)
Industrial Design Engineer
Senior Electronics Engineer
Syed HasanManufacturing Release Analyst
Senior Firmware Engineer
Electronics Design Engineer
Creative and Design Manager
Senior Mechanical Design Engineer
RF Antenna Engineer
Senior Cloud Developer
Northern Area Sales Manager
Southern Area Sales Manager
Customer Service Executive
Update On Progress & Gadget Show Preview!
Light switches and plug sockets have been around for over 100 years and have hardly changed since. They are extremely dated.
Although some wireless light switches and plug sockets do already exist, we've found they are all really complicated products that no one really understands how to use. Many of these have replaced the familiar rocker-switch with high-tech touch pads and buttons, making them complicated, unfamiliar and essentially not mass-market.
At Den, we're reinventing the light switch and plug socket, and we aim to wipe out the existing standard of switches around the world.
We're building products that we believe are far more intelligent than other wireless switches available, however as you can see in the photo above, our products still look and work in the exact same way an ordinary switch would - our products provide various benefits including energy saving, convenience, security and safety - see examples of use cases below (intended impact).
Leaving appliances on standby amounts for up to 16% of our energy bill. In the UK alone, we're wasting £1.3b in energy every year, which is enough to power almost 2.5 million homes.
- Sleep & Away: Turn off all your chosen lights and appliances before going to bed or leaving to go to work, with one simple tap.
- Monitor how much energy your lights and appliances are using in real time, making sure no energy is being wasted.
- Connect up an occupancy sensor to our switches within seconds, without the need of an electrician; so your lights will only be on when they need to be.
- Forgot to turn off? Next time you forget to turn off your iron or hair straighteners, you will recieve a notification letting you know, and if you don’t reply to the notificaiton the Den Socket Outlet will turn itself off - preventing a fire hazard!
- Next time your child stumbles out of bed in the middle of the night on their way to the toilet, Den’s occupancy sensor will automatically activate your lights to keep them safe.
- Elderly/disabled can control their light switches and plug sockets remotely, reducing the amount of movement required.
- Receive a notification if a loved one hasn’t been active for a worrying amount of time (coming soon)
- Automatically turns off your Den Socket Outlet if pulling more than 13A to prevent fuse blowing or appliance catching on fire! (coming soon)
- Appear as if you’re home: your llights can automatically flick themselves on and off when you're away, giving off the impression your home is occupied to help prevent burglaries.
- If we detect activity or motion in the house while you're on holiday, we can send you a notification to let you know
- No more arguing over whose turn it is to turn off the light before bed
- You can reposition a switch that was previously in a hard-to-reach spot
- Works with Alexa & Google Home: you can use voice to command the Den products
- “Alexa, I’m Home” Tell Alexa (or Google Home) that you’re home and she will turn on all your chosen lights and appliances.
Substantial Accomplishments To Date
- Den will be featured on The Gadget Show, alongside the Nest Hello Doorbell! It will be aired on the 14th of December at 7pm on Channel 5!
- Launching/Shipping products to customers w/c 7th January 2019
- We recently hired Bob Watkins as CEO. Bob was previously CEO at Amstrad where he worked alongside Alan Sugar for 25 years. While under his directorship, Amstrad generated £4b+ in revenue.
- We have a Granted European Patent for our unique manual/remotely operable switch. Also granted in Saudi Arabia and pending in 9 other countries.
- When we launch products in January, our products will be purchaseable from Amazon, the Den website and select YESSS Electrical, CEF, Edmundsons, BEW and Electrical Centre branches. We plan to start selling through retail stores in late Q2 2019, for example in Currys and Argos with whom we have already started discussions.
- Homebuilders: Inspired Asset a homebuilder in the UK provided us with a letter of intent, commiting to installing Den products in 250+ homes annually: and we are currently in talks with Berkeley Homes, Taylor Wimpey, Crest Nicholson and various other homebuilders who we plan to close deals with early 2019 after providing them with product samples upon launch.
- After 2 years of development, we've completed development for our 11 products, we've developed a smartphone app for iOS and Android and we've developed our own cloud infrastructure - all in house from scratch.
- We've partnered with a manufacturing firm in China. We began producing tooling in December 2017, conducted our engineering pilot run in January 2018 & pre-production run in February 2018. Since then we have conducted various pre-production runs, improving the products each time. We are now making final improvements and will begin shipping products to customers w/c 7th January 2019.
- We’ve passed all of the British Standard regultory safety approvals and have the certification to legally sell our electronic products in the UK.
- We received investment from the YESSS Group. YESSS are a major electrical wholesaler with over 100 branches across the UK and 400 across Europe.
- To date we've raised £5m+ in funding via Seedrs, making Den the most overfunded campaign to exist on Seedrs and making our founder Yasser Khattak the youngest to raise funds on the platform
- We have received international publicity from the likes of Financial Times, Bloomberg TV, Sky News, BBC Radio, TechCrunch, The Guardian, The Times, Mirror, and lots more.
- We've built a great team of 24 people who've previously worked at companies like Google and Amstrad.
- We were nominated for Product Of The Year by London Innovator Awards, making it into the top 5.
1) Hardware: As a manufacturing business we will generate revenues by selling our hardware (physical products). We plan to sell via wholesale at 40-50% off RRP.
We will be selling our products at the prices shown below:
– 1 gang light switch, RRP £39.95
– 2 gang light switch, RRP £49.95
– Single plug socket, RRP £49.95
– Double plug socket, RRP £69.95
– Occupancy Sensor, RRP £34.95
– Remote, RRP £29.95
– WiFi Hub, RRP £79.95
2) Subscriptions: our iOS and Android app will be completely free, however we are exploring the opportunites to charge a small subscription fee in the future (£1 to £3 monthly).
3) Data: Long term, we plan to generate additional revenues by monetising the data that our products will be capturing. (Google acquired Nest, the smart thermostat for $3.2b; one of the main reasons for this was due to the data that could be captured from their thermostat)
Use of proceeds
December 18 to January 19
- Mass product Light Switches & Socket Outlets
--- (Hub, Remote & Sensor already in stock in the UK waiting to be shipped to customers)
- Launch in UK, products publicly available w/c 7th January 2019
Q1 & Q2 2019
- Grow in the UK
- Complete development & launch premium metal finishes into UK market
- Raise a Series A funding round
Q3 & Q4 2019
- Prepare for expansion outside of UK
- Launch in US & Europe
Theres no doubt that wireless light switches and sockets already exist.
They've been around for over 10 years and have never caught on. Many of the current wireless switches available on the market have replaced the familiar rocker switch with complicated touch pads and buttons - we believe this makes them complicated, unfamiliar, and not mass market.
At Den, we're building products that we believe are far more intelligent that the other wireless switches available, however our products still look and work in the exact same way an ordinary switch would: we haven't taken anything away from the original user experience - We believe this is extremely important for the worldwide adoption of smart light switches and sockets.
We have a Granted European Patent that protects our unique conventional/remotely operable switch.
Apart from retaining the rocker switch, our products offer a wide range of features that many of our competitors do not.
Loading, please wait...