Location based music discovery service.
- Liverpool, United Kingdom
Categories: Entertainment Digital B2C
GigDropper would allow bands/performers to leave songs at specific locations, these performances would subsequently be available to anyone using the GigDropper app on their phone at that location.
A 'GigDrop' is a song or collection of songs that would be uploaded onto the platform by an artist. These GigDrops would be tied to real world locations: Your band's covers of some Beatles songs dropped at the Cavern Club in Liverpool, your new piece of Jazz music dropped to coincide with a Jazz night at a local bar.
We think that new bands generally struggle to secure opportunities to perform, and GigDropper would give any performer the ability to leave what amounts to a demo at any location they choose. These could be accessed by other GigDropper users, given a rating, and shared with friends.
I also foresee a variety of other creative uses of this functionality.
For example, a song inspired by a particular location could be placed at that location. I believe this secondary feature of annotating the physical world with music will see a lot of users wanting to experiment with blending music with place.
The goal is to have GigDropper establish itself as a place to discover great new music and connect with its creators.
Once established the initial monetisation strategy would involve attaching advertisments to 'GigDrops'. These advertisements could be targeted to the particular demographic of the GigDropper user.
As the platform develops we think it is likely a variety of other monetisation options will emerge.
By keeping focused on creating the best user experience and developing the community, we think our liklihood of success is greatly increased.
Use of proceeds
1. Implementation of an initial release of GigDropper.
2. Hosting services and related I.T infrastructure.
3. Launching GigDropper and implementing the marketing plan.
In essence the funds will be used to take GigDropper from the concept stage through to a full launch.
On the end-user side the target market is the ever growing percentage of people with smartphones.
When it comes to content creators GigDropper is looking to attract those wanting new and interesting ways to promote their work; especially in terms of building a following within their local community.
Characteristics of target market
As of 2012 roughly 80% of mobile phone handsets integrate GPS functionality.
A recent study of American smartphone users showed 64% use their handsets to listen to music.
Mobile phone users are already using their handsets to listen to music. GigDropper would add a new twist to this, and given the popularity of location aware apps I believe it will appeal to a broad base of users.
1. Connect with content creators via social media and evangelise about GigDropper as a platform.
2. Use CPM advertising to build brand awareness on websites frequented by music creators and consumers.
3. Marketing campaign based around the discovery of hidden messages (geolocated spoken word codes) which would entitle those that find them to a prize.
We think that for us succeed GigDropper must:
1. Keep a tight focus on the user experience. We feel that too many apps present users with a cluttered and unappealing interface which is functionally obtuse.
2. Build a service that provides value to end users and those creating content, but don't take either for granted.
3. Strive for ubiquity
Loading, please wait...