As we cross the halfway point of the year, I am delighted to be able to share that H1 2021 was Seedrs’ best six months ever—and by a longshot.
Thanks to the amazing efforts of our team, building upon the robust foundations we have laid and expanded upon through the years, we have served more investors and entrepreneurs, delivered more returns and broken more ground than ever before.
Here are a few stats on what’s been happening on the platform:
- £207 million was invested on the platform, our biggest half-year ever and 64% larger than H1 2020 (£126 million).
- A record 29,402 investors made one or more investments through the platform, representing 49% growth over H1 2020 (19,787).
- £13 million in secondary sales and exits were realised, with our Secondary Market seeing over 10,000 buyers and sellers in the period for the first time.
- €22 million was raised across 23 EU deals alone, more than in the whole of 2020.
- We ran our biggest secondary campaign yet, with over £2 million of shares in The Cheeky Panda bought by over 1,200 investors.
Here’s what that has meant for our own financial performance:
- We generated £4.1m in revenue, representing 89% growth over H1 2020 (£2.2m). If we deliver the same revenue in H2 2021, this will mean over £8 million in revenues for the year—which compares to £5.3 million in 2020 and would be highest-grossing year ever for a European equity crowdfunding platform.
- Our net loss narrowed to £500,000, representing a 78% reduction from H1 2020 (£2.3m). This means we had an EBITDA margin of -12%, compared to -104% in H1 2020.
And it’s not just about the numbers – we had a number of groundbreaking campaigns, including:
- The only UK crowdfunding campaign this year for a public listed company with Chapel Down
- The first major VC fund to open a campaign to retail investors (Passion Capital, with Zinc VC soon to follow)
- The first dual UK/US raise with our friends at Republic (Glint)
- The first campaign to have a majority female investors (Lick)
On behalf of everyone at Seedrs, I want to express my gratitude to our entrepreneurs, investors and supporters for making this such a great period, and we look forward to working with you to break more records in the second half of the year.
– Jeff Lynn, Executive Chairman & Co-Founder