Scaling up circular economy sanitation solutions that begin with a great toilet experience
- 1,000 new toilets scheduled for delivery to Madagascar in 2023
- New service launching in South Africa
- Solid base in UK events sector with partner-operated toilet fleet
- >2.4M* revenues to date from hardware, consumables and services
Everyone deserves a great toilet experience that also helps the planet.
Loowatt is a leader in delivering circular economy sanitation systems. We provide solutions for off-grid and urban locations, enabling service providers to deliver great toilets that don’t need water to operate.
Two thirds of the human population is without access to sewered toilets. The current alternatives are dominated by pit latrines, or chemical toilets that use toxic chemicals.
In a world of increasing water scarcity, our technology has proven product-market fit and strong traction.
Our toilet systems could transform economies and help to improve lives.
How the technology works:
Our patented sealing technology contains the waste in a few grams of polymer film lining, within a removable container.
During resource extraction, waste is delivered as feedstock to support production of energy and fertiliser at treatment sites.
Our software optimises efficiency and enables service providers to reach people in non-sewered cities with proven business models.
Substantial accomplishments to date
· We have multiple patents for our unique technology which delivers value across the sanitation value chain, from flushing the toilet to recapturing waste as a resource. The sanitation technology was developed in 2010 in the UK.
· We’ve served millions of toilet users, with glowing feedback from real people - from Madagascar to the Philippines, South Africa to the United Kingdom.
· Our pioneering home service in Madagascar, Tsinjo Soa, grew in revenue by 400% through the pandemic (2019 to 2022)*. We’re ready to scale up with established partnerships including government and multi-lateral funders.
· Our system was chosen to introduce pay-per-use home sanitation services in South Africa, a first for the country.
· Patient capital from world leaders in technology and sanitation innovation have supported the development of our unique product and system solution, including the Gates Foundation, Innovate UK, GSMA among others.
*based on unaudited management accounts
We have made over £2.4 Million revenue to date from hardware, consumables and services.
We have proven that a great toilet experience can support new business models for sanitation servicers: from visitors to the UK’s biggest festivals willing to pay £3/go, to home users in Madagascar paying a monthly service fee.
Our Madagascar service model is scaling up by combining home and portable services, while proving a replicable model.
We sell to local service providers — an expansion strategy that leverages existing infrastructure and helps to boost local economies.
You can help us replicate this model in other regions.
You can support us to install more toilets and generate more recurring revenue.
Use of proceeds
With your investment, we plan to:
· Reduce cost of goods sold (COGs) on our core products
· Expand local manufacturing through contracts and licensing agreements
· Develop and deploy sales expansion toolkits in new countries based on the Madagascar business model, starting in South Africa
· Improve operational efficiency and ROI for our waste processing equipment, reducing barriers for entry in low-income countries (with US$ 200,000 additional support from the Development Finance Corporation’s Technical Assistance Facility)
· Create local jobs and benefit local communities
Your investment will make a difference to restore human dignity, save lives and benefit the planet. Thank you!
Investors in this round are investing into and will become shareholders of Loowatt LTD, company number 07082726. This is the top company for the group.
The company has the following outstanding loans:
1. £458,301.00 secured loan from Innovate UK at an interest rate of 3.7% per annum. The loan is to be repaid on October 2025 (based on current agreements with InnovateUK that are subject to
renegotiation based on company circumstances).
2. £100,000 Director's loan at an interest rate of 0.15%. The loan is to be repaid when the company has been consistently profitable for at least 6 months.
4. £5,068.00 non-interest bearing directors loan from Virginia Gardiner to be repaid when cash resources allow it.
The funds raised from this investment round will not be used to repay these loans.
£527K of the investment reflected in this campaign was received by the Company in October and November 2022 and the Company has started putting this to use. The funds from this round will provide 12 months' runway.
Open an account to get access to the team members of Loowatt
Already have an account? Log in
To comply with financial regulations, we can only show full campaign details to registered users.