Muzeums is an app and platform for museums that help museum visitors get a unique individual experience based on their personal interests and learning style. It does that by dynamically rearranging tagged, location based & experiential content. In other words, when you use Muzeums, the app will create, on the spot, an experience that is tailored specifically for you, with the content that you’re interested in, and even delivered in a way you'd prefer, be it a media tour guide or a real-time interactive social game.
One of the most important advantages of Muzeums is how economical it is. It can reuse content that was already digitized (e.g. through Europeana), and it can use each content unit in numerous structures and ways, according to the user's age, preferences, interests etc.
We aim to radically change the museum visiting experience.
Today the standard visitor experience involves handheld devices, providing an audio/visual guide. That is a solution that is only available for established and successful museums, since the cost of creating and maintaining this solution is high. Some wealthy institutions also create tailor-made apps to enhance the visitor experience. We feel that these are even more expensive and less reusable than handheld guides.
Our solution will be extremely economical, it will be based on BYOD technology (bring your own device) and it will change according to each user's characteristics. Therefore we will impact both the market and the consumers:
1. as a result of our freemium model, all museums, even small ones, will be able to afford high-quality visitor experience based on advanced technology, with different experiences created from the same content.
2. Each visitor will get a personalized experience straight to his device, with content picked out for him according to his interests, and organized in a structure that will appeal to him (a guide, a game, questions etc).
Substantial accomplishments to date
Muzeums was recently accepted to SOUL-FI round B, an EU acceleration program, funding 75,000 EUR for creating our first product using FIWARE technology.
We have gathered an award-winning team to work on Muzeums - our team of employees have created "Europeana Beacon", a location based cultural heritage app integrating beacon technology, which won the Apps4Europe award in the 2014 Pisa Hackathon, and is currently promoted by Europeana.
We have already created a prototype of the app that can be viewed in this video.
Our business plan is based on a B2B2C model - since we are providing a service for a museum that will be used by their users. We're targeting museums (and similar institutions such as botanical gardens, heritage sites etc.) as our main client, using a "freemium" model with a basic free plan and several paid plans. Paid plans will have different revenue models according to the client's needs, including:
1. payment according to user volume.
2. A monthly subscription.
3. A license for using Muzeum's technology in a branded app.
The flexibility in revenue models will allow us to widen the market share we are targeting, without losing focus - since the product is essentially the same one, with further or fewer features and options.
We are also considering monetizing through advertising in our free app, since we profile users and know where they are and what they're interested in, but we have decided to wait with this model until we have a stable growth in clients and users.
Use of proceeds.
We will use the proceeds from this round as following:
20% completing our final release of the app
20% upgrading capabilities for the platform for museums to enter content
40% marketing and service
10% legal& accounting
10% other expenses
The money will be added to the 75K EUR funding from SOUL-FI.
Our target market is mainly museums, but it is actually any institution that has items that can be used in location-based learning. This means botanical gardens, heritage sites, galleries, historical sites and many more.
Characteristics of target market.
What sets Muzeums apart, is that we're targeting a huge market, not just the top museums with millions of visitors. There are over 2,500 museums in the UK, over 55,000 museums worldwide and we feel there are even more relevant institutions which have no product targeting their needs of digitizing and visitor experience. While the top museums, botanical gardens and heritage sites, in our experience have heavy competition with no scalable solution.
We plan on targeting all of the market, supplying smaller clients with technology they wouldn’t otherwise be able to afford, and larger clients with a significantly cheaper solution, relevant to all their visitors.
Short-term plan (next six month):
We are going to use our most important asset, which is compatibility to the Europeana database, in order to create our initial client base. We will aim to reach out through Europeana to their network and identify the most suitable clients, with the most comprehensive and rich data on Europeana. Those clients will receive a highly personalized app based on existing digitized content and our beta stage will be based on their usage of the product.
Longer-term plan (next year):
Following our beta we will aim to start with direct marketing to large museums, and mass marketing (internet advertising) to smaller institutions focusing on UK and Europe. Alongside that we will continue to use Europeana's network, which consists of thousands of contributing institutions and tens of millions of digitized items all over Europe.
After the first year we will consider scaling globally, in accordance with our success and readiness.
We have 3 types of competitors:
1. Handheld device providers (Antenna) - Popular but are expensive (especially compared to BYOD tech.), offer limited visitor experience, and require a lot of effort in creating content and maintenance.
2. Tailor-made solutions for a museum - The preferred solution today for well established institutions, usually creates a high quality visitor experiences. Besides being very expensive, they require a lot of effort creating content, and maintenance is essentially re-development.
3. Platforms, primarily focusing on multimedia content in audio guides or digital tours, (Woices, izi.travel or MuseumApp) - we feel have limited user experience, with no personalization. But we feel that the main issue with these platforms is that content is created according to the needs of the platform rather than the needs of the museum, and we feel that customers are reluctant to invest in processes that create content which they have no ownership of, and get no extra value from.
Cuseum recently raised $1.2M in seed, before having a public beta. They’re appealing to some of the same problems we are, but we feel that their solution is not much more than a social media twist. Since we include digitizing museums and using existing intl. databases, we believe that we won't have the scaling problem Cuseum will face.
Our solution includes dynamic personalization of content and the use of digitizing efforts in visitor experience. The combination of those features lowers the cost of digitizing museums, and allows reusing the same content in different contexts. Content is created once, digitized, and is used again and again, creating countless possibilities out of the same content, and enabling a high level of personalization.
Loading, please wait...