- Investment sought:
- Equity offered:
Sian’s Plan guarantees healthy eating. Our online tools and support help busy parents provide real, healthy, home-cooked food, easily. Utilising over 30 years of experience, Sian has created a colour coded meal plan and essential shopping list solution that is practical and flexible. In short, Sian’s Plan helps you to cook well, eat well and be well.
We bring the joy back into home-cooking. With Sian’s Plan, your pantry, fridge and freezer play a very active part in how you cook. The healthy eating system consists of a drag and drop colour-coded recipe plan to balance diets throughout the week & a grocery planning system to complete online purchases. Every recipe comes with the ‘Sian’s Plan healthy guarantee’; they use healthy cooking methods, quality ingredients and are quick and simple to prepare.
The impact for our target market:
Feeding your family well everyday is stressful. We spend 2.5 hours grocery shopping every week, 9 hours cooking and throw out more than £720 a year in food waste a year so it’s no wonder that many of us see cooking as a chore.
Sian’s Plan helps parents to stay in control, save time and save money. Along with optimising your family’s health, Sian’s Plan helps you save 7.5 hours every week (16 days a year!) and at least £700 a year by eliminating food waste.
30% of UK children are overweight or obese and this is expected to rise to nearly 50% of the total population by 2030. The UK already has the highest rate of child obesity in Western Europe, which is estimated to cost the NHS about £4.2bn a year. This increase in obesity will result in millions of new cases of diabetes 2, coronary heart disease, and strokes, a constellation of illness that we think could cost the UK an extra £2bn a year in healthcare. In addition to eating the wrong food and too much food, 30% of the food bought in the UK is wasted.
Michael Pollan, acclaimed author of Cooked, states what all current research leads to: “Home Cooking Will Solve our Obesity Epidemic”. If it’s that’s simple why aren't we all cooking at home? Sian's Plan set out to help solve our home cooking problem. We aim to bring the joy back into cooking for adults and children alike. Sian's Plan helps boost your confidence to proactively sustain a healthy eating lifestyle. This lifestyle becomes the norm for children, creating healthy eaters for life.
Substantial accomplishments to date
- Raised £170k in early seed money in December 2012
- Sian’s Plan has been recognised as the ‘Most Innovative Digital Solution for Home Cooks’ globally, beating Yummly, the fastest growing food site in the world with over $6m in funding.
- ‘Most Insightful and Intriguing Internet Innovation’ by the Irish Internet Association's Net Visionary Awards 2012
- Final 10 of the Irish Times Fusion Programme
- 1 of the top 30 start-ups in Ireland at this year's Web Summit Spark of Genius Awards
- Over 5,000 beta users
Our business model has 2 core revenue streams;
Primary – Subscriptions:
Subscribers pay from £10/m
Secondary – Affiliate Commission:
Supermarkets pay between £5 and £8 per new purchasing sign up as well as ongoing fees for transactions originating from Sian’s Plan .
Tertiary - The Sky is the Limit:
But includes corporate wellness schemes (currently running a trial with Deloitte ), white label technology, Sian's Plan Plus (cookery schools, schools and hospitals, kitchen equipment, Sian's Plan food products etc).
We also hope to use Sian's Plan to help those who suffer from food poverty by providing a free subscriptions and cookery classes to those in need.
Use of proceeds
We have spent the last 12 months building a fantastic product and developing a kick ass marketing strategy. We're now gearing up to launch Sian's Plan to the market.
1. Marketing - 43% (salaries, PR agency, advertising) The majority of our spend. Everything is focussed on getting Sian and her plan out there through TV, print, social media, events etc.
2. Business development - 21% (salaries, travel, promotional materials) Vincent and Fiona will focus on building commercial partnerships in the UK, the US and Australia where current investors are based. This is how we will rapidly increase our member base.
3. Product development - 22% (salaries, development consultants, nutritionists) Our mobile app is in beta testing and we will launch it for the iPhone and Android. We'll also be adding the extra features and benefits that are in the pipeline.
4. Admin - 14% The necessaries to run a business (don't worry, we keep these at a minimum) - rent, legal fees, cost of sales etc.
It is clearly evident that there is a changing interest in food purchasing and healthy eating and cooking. The market is now ready for Sian’s Plan and its offering as a sustainable support for home cooks who are consciously trying to cook from scratch as often as they can.
Our target market are ABC1 busy/professional parents with one or more school going children. They are tech savvy and spend on average £100 a week on grocery shopping. They have 2 primary motives to use Sian’s Plan; keeping their family healthy and doing that within their budget.
‘I am enjoying cooking more, it seems less of a chore as I feel more on top of my game’ Rose, mum of 2 in London.
Sian's Plan is also of interest to young professional singles and couples. We intend to target this market once resources allow.
‘I think it's a great idea! Myself and my girlfriend use it constantly, we love the shopping cart integration’ Brian, young professional in Dublin.
Characteristics of target market
At the crossroads of both the health and food market, we’re targeted at the convenience cravers. We estimate these time poor parents and young professionals represent 18 million people in the UK alone with a market size of £1bn.
Sian’s Plan is also perfectly positioned to take advantage of the increase in online grocery sales, expected to double in value in the next five years, reaching £14bn by 2018.
The company also aims to capture the US and Australian markets where current angel investors are based.
Launching to the UK market in January 2014, Sian’s Plan attracted over 5,000 members during beta testing with over 100 paying during different iterations.
Sian’s Plan has 3 core routes to market;
1. Direct to consumer through Sian’s profile
The goal is for Sian to become a key commentator across all media.
2. Partnerships – Our current focus
Revenue share or promotion through platforms and providers who capture our target market (eg. Mummypages. ie, Mumsnet, National Newspapers, NHS). As we further increase the health credibility and value offering of Sian’s Plan it is our intention to work with Health Boards, Doctors and dieticians so that Sian’s Plan is offered as a solution to problems their patients or clients are facing.
3. B2B through Corporate Health & Wellness schemes and Insurance Providers
This future channel is how Sian’s Plan will achieve lightening fast scale. A trial with Deloitte Dublin is already underway and has been received well, with lots of people signing up.
Our research over the past 2 years has discovered an increase in web applications offering a similar service. Few of these websites appear to offer a complete food solution for their users, with many possessing their own agendas for creating meal-planning applications.
What stands us out from our competitors?
1. Helping our members is our priority. We’re not focused on helping Tesco sell to generate revenue. This allows us to build a trusting and credible brand with longevity.
2. Not just an app of convenience that you use every other week to order groceries. We help you manage real world situations and show you that food is not complicated. From teaching you how to show your kids how to cook, to making use of leftovers and rustling up a meal at 6 o’clock when everyone is tired. We are your most trusted support.
3. System of discipline and habit forming. We’re with you breakfast, lunch and dinner as a replacement for the skills that are no longer being taught in school. You buy into the Sian’s Plan way from our unique colour coded system to special time saving Sian’s Smart ingredients that you make up in batch and use multiple times in the week.