Skin In Motion
Exercise-friendly brand offering confidence-boosting makeup & skincare formulated for real life in motion
- Intersection of $532Bn beauty industry and $100Bn fitness market
- Brand with Purpose - Won Best New Business 2020 @wombizclub
- Founded by celebrity makeup artist and ex-Unilever senior exec
- Loved by beauty editors, athletes, makeup artists & fitness fans
Launched in Jan 2020, Skin in Motion is a first-of-its-kind exercise-friendly beauty range, dedicated to promoting the positive effects of exercise through healthy and confidence-boosting skincare and makeup products specifically designed to be worn pre, during, and post-exercise.
We are changing the way beauty looks and feels by addressing a real unmet need whilst using business as a force for good. Consumers are looking for products that fit their active lifestyles & quest for wellness. But mainstream beauty brands are not designed for exercise specifically and when used for that, they can be damaging, unhealthy, and unfit for the skin.
Brainchild of Gia Mills, a top celebrity makeup artist and Sophia Lahlou, a marketing exec with 17 years experience at Unilever. The brand offers a complete tailor-made range of 5 healthy, vegan, cruelty-free products with hydrating, breathable, long-lasting formulas. The products are available DTC via our website, and we are also listed on LookFantastic, Amazon and Oliver Bonas. We are currently in talks with more retailers.
Substantial accomplishments to date
- Launched in Jan 2020 with a range of 7 initial products, 2 more products added later that year
- Awarded Best New Business 2020 by Women's Business Club
- Delivered Y1 DTC Turnover of £52k equivalent to 1,700 orders
- Multiplied our Q1 2021 revenue by 200% vs. Q1 2020*
- Very healthy e-com metrics: *Conversion rate in line with the industry average *Average Order Value 2020 at £30.67 and increasing with new product introductions *Life Time Value went from £36 in '20 to a whooping £46 in Jan '21.
- E-retailers: listed in Oliver Bonas in 2020; LookFantastic (The Hut Group online beauty platform) in Feb 2021 and Amazon Vendor in March 2021.
- Social media & Press coverage: 3M+ potential customers reached and 3K+ Instagram followers to date with significant consumer engagement and free content creation
- Featured in Sunday Times Style Magazine, Hello!, RED Magazine, Women's Health, YOU Magazine, Cosmopolitan among many others
- Used on Sienna Miller, Nathalie Imbruglia, Jenni Falconer, GB athletes, top lifestyle/fitness influencers as well as Andy Murray and Sergio Ramos (men like it too)
- Consistent 5star customer & influencer reviews including many preferring our products to biggest beauty brands
- In discussion to be listed on more e-retailers in 2021
- Gyms channels: Initially stocked in BoomCycle and planning to branch out to other gym chains as the pandemic eases
- Very lean operations and both founders having personally invested & not getting any remuneration until cash flow allows
*Based on unaudited management accounts.
We've demonstrated the market need for our specialist range of products, and we are now ready to scale up our business model and accelerate our growth in the big and profitable wellness industry.
After having established the brand primarily through our DTC channel and performance market, we want to further increase our reach & penetration:
1. We aim to expand our online presence. Currently, in LookFantastic and Amazon, we will be targeting other beauty e-retailers to grow our user base & brand awareness
2. After being listed in BoomCycle and as lockdown restrictions begin to ease, we want to develop gyms as a new untapped sales channel
3. We also plan to widen our range with a strong innovation pipeline to complete the beauty routine of our customers and increase their basket size
4. Once we've consolidated the female offering, we plan to introduce a men's range to capitalise on the booming male grooming sector
5. We also plan to expand internationally into the US, EU & the Middle East.
Use of proceeds
We will apply our funds to help:
1. Marketing and Brand Awareness: 48%
Increasing our marketing efforts both online by boosting our performance marketing investment, as well as our influencer marketing and offline by up-scaling experiential and events (post lockdown)
2. Product Development: 30%
Accelerating new product developments/launches and securing stock.
3. Key Hires / Growing the Team: 22%
Building capabilities by recruiting a seasoned commercial director and a strong beauty PR expert, as well as developing new channels.
The combination of all the above aims to:
1. Release pressure from DTC only model by increasing other channels' contribution and weight.
2. Improve our Return On Advertising Spend and performance marketing with increased visibility and awareness.
3. Build stronger brand equity and brand desirability and ultimately increase sales.
The company has the following outstanding loans:
1. £50,000 Bounce Back Loan from Barclays Bank at an interest rate of 2.5% per annum. The loan was entered into 04/05/2020 and is to be repaid over 6 years, with no repayments over the first 12 months.
2. £15,000 Revolving Credit Facility from Just Cashflow at an interest rate of 0.075% per day, applied weekly in arrears. The loan was entered into in September 2020, and has a term of 12 months.
3. The Founders each have a personal loan of £25,000 from the Start Up Loans Company entered into in 2019. The loans have an interest rate of 6% per annum, and are to be repaid in monthly instalments by 01/10/24. The funds from the loans were used when founding the business and were spent on stock orders and marketing. The loans are currently repaid personally by the founders, but the business will assume the repayment obligations through revenues post-raise.
The funds raised from this investment round will not be used to repay these loans.
Please note that the first £147k of investment in the campaign will be eligible for SEIS tax relief. Investments over this amount will be eligible for EIS relief.
Open an account to get access to the team members of Skin In Motion
Already have an account? Log in
To comply with financial regulations, we can only show full campaign details to registered users.