Sophia.app is an on-demand marketplace for the private tuition industry
- 100% Repeat Booking Rate and 5 Star Tutor Reviews
- Founded by Educational Leaders
- Tutors fully vetted against highest standards of safe recruitment
- 3 specially curated educational programme's designed and running
SOPHIA is an EdTech disruptor, bringing on-demand, flexible working to the £6bn UK tuition industry.
Founded by an Independent school Head Teacher and run by a team of educational leaders with decades of experience in the industry, we promote confidence and convenience without compromising on safety or quality of education.
Tutors are fully vetted by the education team against the highest standards in safeguarding and safer recruitment. Sessions are booked via an app and are delivered online, at home or anywhere the client finds convenient.
Substantial accomplishments to date
- Sophia opens to tutors and begins the on boarding process (to date over 1400 applications received).
- Sophia Tutor app is launched, 100 tutors are fully verified and ready to download the app and finalise their application.
- Sophia receives 2 Nominations at Education Investor Awards 2019 (Private Tuition & Market Entrant)
- Sophia Client app is soft launched and tutors begin working face-to-face (pre-lockdown).
- COVID hits and tutoring seamlessly moves online, clients booking sessions receive a weblink and learning continues as normal.
- Successful white labelling into China via local partner kicks off (88hrs of tutoring sold into China to date).
- SophiaX is launched, an online classroom based learning where parents can book classes with an extra-curricular focus.
- Virtual School is launched, providing parents with a home schooling alternative during COVID-19 and beyond.
- Launch of SophiaX virtual summer camps, a 6 week programme of learning with clients signing up from UK, UAE, Qatar and Moscow.
Other Notable Achievements:
- 100% repeat booking rate (as of June 1st) - every client or parent has booked more than once.
- Working towards accreditation with U.K. Department of Education.
- 100% 5 Star reviews for tutors (based on over 300 sessions, correct as of June 1st)
Widespread media coverage (Telegraph, iNews, TechRound, OpenGov, Just Entrepreneurs, Channel5 News).
1) Face-to-face & online Tuition:
Clients pay Sophia one of 3 rates based on the tier of tutor.
Sophia takes a fixed % commission when the session is booked and pays the remainder to tutors.
Sophia covers variable costs including 'gig-economy' insurance (via a partnership with Tapoly), payment processing fees (partnership with stripe) and retains gross profit of 16.4% per average session:
2) Virtual School - sessions are run daily and cover core curriculum across age groups from KS1 to GCSE. Up to 3 parents can book into a single session, parents get to select subject but not the specific time or tutors. Classes get booked up weeks in advance and this cross pollenates into clients booking specific tutors for one-to-one sessions via the app.
3) SophiaX - a wide variety of extra-curricular courses (Book club, Harry Potter and his World, Minecraft coding, Debating, Mathematical Art, Coding a Lego Maze), SophiaX feeds kid’s curiosity and elevates their learning with a variety of real time online classes.
Use of proceeds
The proceeds will be used to help fund our strong and continuing journey and to provide the cash runway to continue scaling.
The vast majority of the raise is focussed on Technological Development and Customer Acquisition & Retention:
1) Tech Development
User experience is key, Sophia puts a huge focus on education quality but the app also has to be quick, stable and easy to use. As our client base grows, we want our infrastructure will grow in order to be able to efficiently handle exponential increase in traffic.
2) Customer Acquisition & Retention
Sophia will look to aggressively acquire customers in order to harness the network effect. Clients will be predominantly acquired online via PPC and paid referral.
The company has the following outstanding loans:
1) £50,000 loan from NatWest at an interest rate of 2.5% per annum. The loan is to be repaid 72 months after the loan is drawn down, which is May 2026.
2) £100,000 Director’s loan with no interest rate. The loan is to be fully repaid on event of default or the repayment date. The repayment date being 28 days from the Lender making a written demand for repayment. This loan commenced on 25th February 2020.
3) £100,000 Director’s loan with no interest rate. The loan is to be fully repaid on event of default or the repayment date. The repayment date being 28 days from the Lender making a written demand for repayment. This loan commenced on 4th November 2019.
4) £100,000 Director’s loan with no interest rate. The loan is to be fully repaid on event of default or the repayment date. The repayment date being 28 days from the Lender making a written demand for repayment. This loan commenced on 3rd June 2019.
5) £100,000 Director’s loan with no interest rate. The loan is to be fully repaid on event of default or the repayment date. The repayment date being 28 days from the Lender making a written demand for repayment. This loan commenced on 13th December 2018.
The funds raised from this investment round will not be used to repay these loans.
Open an account to get access to the team members of Sophia Technologies
Already have an account? Log in
To comply with financial regulations, we can only show full campaign details to registered users.