Shorts Boy Distillery
Our first product, The Tidal Rum, is at the forefront of the rum revolution.
- Launched our first product in late summer 2019
- Listed in 25 supermarkets locally including COOP
- Stocked across UK incl. Daylesford & Michelin Starred Cornerstone
- Digital audience grown to 15k+
The Shorts Boy Distillery is a company inspired by the Tidal coastline of the Channel Islands and our first product is The Tidal Rum. The Tidal Rum is a golden-aged rum infused with Pepper Dulse seaweed foraged sustainably at low tide in Jersey, a celebration of island life and the British coast.
We have created an elevated rum experience, for drinkers of all tastes. Rum redefined as the first drink of the night, not the last. To create Tidal Rum we sampled our favourite aged island rums from around the world, and went foraging for the perfect sea botanical with Kazz, a wild food expert who forages for the top restaurants in the Channel Islands.
We discovered Pepper Dulse known as the Truffle of the Sea, a rare botanical, found only at the lowest tides and prized for its intense marine truffle flavour. Lightly oak-smoked and infused into our golden rum, it gives Tidal Rum its unique ocean salted caramel flavour.
Substantial accomplishments to date
•Created and launched The Tidal Rum – April 2019
•Stocked at the Weekender festival putting Tidal in front of 10k people over a single weekend – Aug 2019
•Supply chain across the Channel Islands and UK established – Sep 2019
•Distribution via our first key wholesaler, Nectar – March 2020
• Increasing demand led us to increase our stock orders to 10k bottles at a time - June 2020
•3,882 bottles invoiced and on consignment with a new U.K. Distributer - May 2021
• Stocked in sites across the Channel Islands and U.K including Daylesford, Cowdray Estate Farm Shop, Michelin Starred Cornerstone, Bentley's Oyster Bar, The Hunter's Moon, Maison Francois, Stanley's, and the Anglian Inns Group
Best served on the rocks or as our signature serve The Tidal Fresh Lime Soda with a dash of angostura bitters - a naturally refreshing first drink of the night that truly lets the spirit sing!
We generate revenue through selling products to market including The Tidal Rum and affiliated merchandise which has two core routes:
1) Distribution: to reach the on-trade and off-trade market in the UK and the Channel Islands we sell directly to distribution partners. With their support and our internal sales capabilities, we have boots on the ground and are knocking on doors. We are seeing a rapid return to the market since the relaxation of Covid regulations, and believe our growth is at this stage limited by capital we can deploy.
2) Direct to the customer: we sell directly to customers on our website. Pre COVID, this accounted for just 4% of sales, and has grown rapidly over COVID to 33% of sales.
Use of proceeds
The founders of SBD intend to expand on the already strong success we've had. We intend to use the money raised to accelerate our plans across our two core routes to market described in monetisation strategy
Sales 40%: We are constrained by our current capacity and believe by investing in sales support in the UK. and Jersey we can gain many more listings
Marketing/PR 30%: To date, we haven't spent money on PR or conventional marketing (non-Facebook)
Supply chain 20%: We want capital to bulk purchase corks and bottle so we can bring down COGS
Product development 10%: We loved creating Tidal Rum and own the IP to the word Tidal across spirits in the U.K. This is a massive opportunity to creating new SKUs and increasing our revenue
*limited to personal consumption and gifts
Please note, Co-Founder Ben Clyde Smith is part-time on the business. The other co-founder in the business, Harry Coulthard, is full-time.
The company has a government Bounceback loan of £50k. This has 2.5% interest, and is paid back with monthly instalments. The first year was interest free.
None of the funds raised will be used to repay this loan.
Please note that financials are based on unaudited management account.
Open an account to get access to the team members of Shorts Boy Distillery
Already have an account? Log in
To comply with financial regulations, we can only show full campaign details to registered users.