ZoomDoc is reinventing the way patients see GPs by pioneering a ‘new old way’, to help patients receive great care whenever and wherever they need it.
Patients and GPs are fed-up with a system that is broken. It’s common to wait weeks to get a GP appointment and when you finally get seen, you could have as little as 10 minutes for the doctor to understand, examine, diagnose and decide on appropriate action.
We’ve created user-friendly technology that connects patients to trusted GPs in seconds and seen in the comfort of their home in minutes.
On the ZoomDoc app, patients see which GPs are closest, their profile & specialties. They select a phone or face-to-face consultation, and then seamlessly connected to a chosen GP.
We only rush to get to you. Once we arrive we take our time with a thorough examination and a consultation of at least 25 minutes, which allows time to fully address your symptoms. And because we’re serious about getting you better, we even follow-up to see how you’re getting on.
ZoomDoc was created by GPs and run by GPs, inspired by a desire to remove the barriers between doctors & patients – Overcoming ‘the system’ and providing great technology that helps people receive care when they need it and to help GPs get back to ‘doctoring’, the way it should be done.
If you need a GP right now or out of hours, a long wait in A&E is usually the only option. And when you get to see a GP, you have just minutes to discuss one concern before you are out the door.
This is frustrating for patients and for GPs, who go into the profession to help people – not practice ‘conveyor belt medicine’.
ZoomDoc overcomes these issues by providing carefully selected, trusted GPs who see patients in their home, office or hotel.
We believe in the power of human contact - listening, understanding and empathising - that’s why our service is face-to-face. This can only be achieved in person, when you have the time to really be present with your patient.
Substantial accomplishments to date
• ZoomDoc’s platform has been fully built in partnership with E-Man, a renowned development lab. The technology consists of secure patient and GP apps and web access. We believe the platform is the most comprehensive solution in this emerging sector, with impressive usability and features for GPs and patients alike.
• Recruited Paul Landau, Julian Harrison and Ben Doltis with a view to becoming non-executive directors. Paul was Founder and former CEO of Fitbug, one the pioneers of the ‘wearables’ category who established relationships with clients in the healthcare space such as Vitality, Bupa, and Willis Towers Watson. Julian was Co-Founder & former Commercial Director of Pharmacy2U, a leading online pharmacy. Ben was Founder of SJB Group, a global resourcing company which excels in GP recruitment. He now sits on the UK board of Experis ManpowerGroup. Paul, Julian and Ben all bring board level experience from start up to growth SME and proven track records in either health-tech or GP recruitment.
• Soft launched across Greater London and seen more than 300 visits with numerous repeat patients - with minimal marketing.
• 5 star reviews on Facebook and AppStore.
• Formed reciprocal partnerships with private surgeries to enable us to undertake diagnostics that cannot be done at home.
• Entered into commercial discussions with providers in the childcare, pharmacy and employer markets.
• Worked with a top marketing agency with a specialism in on-demand services.
• Selected a leading PR agency to assist in raising ZoomDoc’s profile among consumers and GPs to help establish the brand and grow our GP & patient base.
ZoomDoc has both B2C and B2B routes to market:-
In a B2C setting, ZoomDoc employs a model designed to minimise barriers to adoption by patients and GPs. No sign-up or membership fees.
PATIENTS: Pay in-app for a consultation with prices starting from £99 and rise once surgeries close and GPs are working ‘out of hours’. This presents a price point that makes it highly accessible.
We deemed it important to have an entry price sub £100 - mentally, being under this mark makes a difference.
GPs earn 82.5% of all fees, with ZoomDoc retaining 17.5%.
GPs: Are not charged for signing up, nor do we impose minimum hours. ZoomDoc speaks for itself and once ‘live’ on the platform GPs want to work on it. It’s a better way of doctoring.
In context; if a GP did 4 consultations per weekday, they earn >£100k pa and ZoomDoc receives approx £22k.
In a B2B setting ZoomDoc offers subscription models, preferential partner rates and incentive programmes to drive widespread adoption by clients.
Use of proceeds
The ZoomDoc platform is built and ‘soft launched’ in March 2017, allowing us to put the end-to-end proposition through its paces in a live environment. We are very excited by how the technology has performed and by the positive market reaction.
We are now looking for funding to enable us to scale-up and invest strategically to accelerate our go-to-market strategy and ensure we have the team in place to take the business forward.
1) National Expansion of GP workforce.
2) Digital and localised marketing to drive App downloads and patient acquisition.
3) Business Development and implementation of B2B partnerships at both local and national levels.
4) Innovation and software development to expand ZoomDoc services.
5) Engaging with ZoomDoc patients to remain front of mind.
6) Initiate ZoomDoc’s compatibility with wearable health tech and active monitoring of patients with the use of proprietary AI.
The company currently has outstanding payments totalling £50,000 due to the technology team and consultants in relation to the build for the app, and a £30,000 loan from Douglas Dickson Developments Ltd for the purposes of marketing for both patient and GP acquisition. ZoomDoc intends to use £80,000 of the funds raised from this campaign to repay these debts.
The company also has £50,000 of outstanding director loans which will not be repaid using the proceeds of this investment.
ZoomDoc sees two distinct target markets -
(1) INDIVIDUALS & FAMILIES
• Families/ households that work hard and do whatever they can to take care of their loved ones. Their family’s health is the most important thing, but there are times when they or their children get sick and feel powerless to get help when and where they need it.
• Busy people who simply ‘don’t have time to be sick!’ - frequently neglecting their health and delay seeking medical advice for issues that concern them.
• Tourists & travellers to the UK - Visitors who fall ill and want to find quick, trustworthy, convenient, cost effective medical help.
(2) B2B PARTNERSHIPS
• Hotels & Travel Companies: Expand relationships with hotel groups, concierge desks, insurance providers, airline loyalty programmes etc…to help their clients find great medical assistance if unwell during their stay.
• Corporate Employers: ZoomDoc sees a strong opportunity to provide services to employers as part of their benefits package which demonstrates to employees that they care for their wellbeing, whilst being able to ensure that employees are seen quickly when unwell which will help increase speed back to work and minimise unjustified ‘duvet days’.
• GP surgeries: Forging more mutually beneficial relationships with existing private GPs who require out of hours support and can provide home visits on their behalf (potentially also supporting NHS surgeries as part of a commissioned service).
• Pharmacy Relationships: Pharmacists often receive requests for medical help from patients and cannot prescribe. Therefore, we have started an affiliate incentive scheme for referrals to ZoomDoc.
• Health Insurance market: ZoomDoc aims to link and build partnerships with the health insurance industry to enable 24/7 home visiting service provision for their customers.
Characteristics of target market
ABC1 HOUSEHOLDS & BUSY PEOPLE
In the UK, 46,000 GPs treat 27m households with the average size being 2.3 people.
Our demographic: ABC1 households (54% of the population / 14.6m homes) earning at least c£46,000.
The average patient sees a GP 4.9 times pa. Therefore a UK household sees a GP 11 times pa.
If each ZoomDoc household uses us 40% of the time, ZoomDoc would get 4.6 calls pa valued at £500 ARPU (£87.50 contribution)
There were 37.3m visits to the UK in 2016 . Europe’s universal health care means everyone is taken care of if sick, however in reality, for minor ailments when the visitor cannot use an NHS GP and has limited time to get well, they may turn to a hotel to get help.
137m work days were lost due to illness in 2016 - 4.3 days per worker. This has fallen over recent years as employers invest in programmes to reduce absence (hence the opportunity!)
A 2015 survey estimates the cost of sick-days to be £16bn pa - an average of £456 per employee. This is far higher for corporates where somebody earning say £60k costs £250 per day based on salary alone
Private general practice may amount to around 7m consultations pa, earning the sector c£500m a year
The UK has c.16,500 dispensaries, being asked by government to provide more services to reduce the burden on GPs. They can’t however prescribe, and often need to turn to a GP.
ZoomDoc’s marketing plan focuses on digital and social marketing plus localised, activity that makes noise in specific suburbs, to generate awareness for GPs servicing those areas (as opposed to large expensive national or regional campaigns), whilst using PR to build the brand and create a halo effect, which helps the brand to punch above its weight.
Additionally, we have seen a trend of patient referrals after being impressed with ZoomDoc’s service. Therefore, we have introduced within the ZoomDoc App a patient incentive scheme to encourage user acquisition. This same inbuilt internal-marketing technology allows ZoomDoc to expand our B2B affiliate partnership program.
(1) PATIENT & GP RECRUITMENT
• Referral Strategy: Provide patients and GPs with a code that incentivises them to tell their family & friends.
• Localised Digital marketing
• Localised Social marketing.
• Local campaigns to support specific GP hubs: E.g. Direct mail, suburb tube station advertising, flyers etc.
• GP toolkits: Provide GPs with tools to help them spread the word.
(2) GP RECRUITMENT
• Advertising and promotion: Working with GP publications and online portals.
• Conferences: Take space at key conferences/events where we can demo ZoomDoc and recruit.
• Advocacy Strategy: Seek to get high profiles GPs talking favourably about ZoomDoc.
(3) B2B LEAD GENERATION
• Traditional sales outreach.
• Social: LinkedIn, Facebook and Twitter, aimed at clients/partners.
• Conferences: Take space at select events where we can demo ZoomDoc and generate partner interest.
• Direct Marketing: Distribution of marketing material to suitable targeted groups
• Partnerships: Seeking to establish commercial relationships with partners in each of our target sectors.
“General practice is in crisis” (Kings Fund, May 16).
GPs and Patients feel disaffected; the conditions are perfect for alternative models of primary care to take off, with the provision of ‘instant’ GPs being available for patients.
Private GP services are not new, however they are typically expensive (with home visits costing c.£300) and inefficient with on-call GPs having to criss-cross entire cities to service patients. They are also localised with a private GP usually servicing a small area.
Consumers have embraced the on-demand economy. The likes of Uber and Deliveroo have proven that ‘traditional trades’ can be delivered using technology that makes it quicker and more efficient. Gone are the days however when only restaurant food and taxis could be accessed through a click of a button.
In the primary care sector, several ‘video’ consultation based services have emerged over the last few years, which provide consultations via app, as well as several other providers in the home visiting space.
ZoomDoc is offering what we believe is the best in class solution for patients and GPs:
• Effective doctoring must be ‘hands on’ - You need to be able to look down a patient’s throat, take blood pressure, listen to their chest etc... Examine in a way that simply cannot be done on a screen.
• The ability to prescribe medications from a video consultation is severely limited and in our experience a high percentage of consultations end in the patient still having to book to see their GP!
• ZoomDoc has created the most comprehensive, effective and efficient platform available to our knowledge. We believe our service offers both GPs and patients the most compelling proposition with many features and benefits which our competitors do not offer.
• Built by GPs and run by GPs, ZoomDoc intimately understands what is needed - The end to end experience and our GP facing technology is designed with this in mind. Our GPs have access to what we believe to be the best technology in the market that enables them to offer the best service available to our patients
Loading, please wait...